Friday, November 23, 2012

Never Say Never

The holiday season is bearing upon us and the stores are in a frenzy today for Black Friday. 

Yesterday as I was driving out to my dad's for Thanksgiving, my brother asked me if I was going to go do some Thanksgiving eve or Black Friday shopping.  I went on a mini-tirade about how it's crazy that people go out in the frenzy.  I said there is nothing I need that badly that I would risk being trampled.  Many news reports note that a lot of these door buster "deals" aren't really deals. 

Fast forward to me sitting on my dad's couch before dinner, looking at the ads to check out these "deals."  The Michael's ad caught my eye.  There were some great deals on scrapbooking stuff that I always use (I am old school and I still scrapbook.)  Plus there was Christmas wrap and some children creative art kits on sale.  Hmmm.... my mind started churning.  Then I notice the 30% off the total purchase coupon.  And the fact that they were open on Thanksgiving from 4-11pm. 

Me: "Dad!  Do you mind if I take this coupon just in case I decide to be crazy and go to Michael's tonight"
Dad: "Sure. Whatever. Take it"
My Brother: "Ummmm, didn't you just go on and on in the car about how there is NOTHING that you need that badly to go out today or tomorrow?  How quickly things change."
Me: " Shut up. That was before I saw the Michael's ad.  I don't know if I will actually go but....maybe I'll drive by and check things out"

Fast forward again to halftime of the Cowboys/Redskins game.  I am a Cowboys fan and my brother was taunting me about the touchdown that the Redskins had just scored.(Older brothers....good grief!)  I was grumpy and full from eating too much.  All I could think about was heading home and crawling into bed.  My brother asks if I was still up for my Michael's adventure as we got on the road back home.  I was wavering at that point.

Our half hour drive was pretty uneventful and there weren't that many people on the road at 6:30pm.  I started to rethink my Michael's trip.  I didn't really feel up to going home and watching the rest of the game.  Maybe a little shopping would cheer me up.  Decision made. 

I dropped off my brother and headed over to the shopping center where Michael's is.  I was worried what it would be like, as the Walmart, Target and Best Buy are right there also.  But I don't think they were opening until 8pm, so I feel confident that maybe things would be good.  And I was right.  There was no traffic getting into the shopping center.  I pulled in front of Michael's and there were 5 other cars there.  WHAT????  How could I be so lucky!!

I was walking in with another lady and she turned to me....Do you feel weird about being here on Thanksgiving? she asks me.  I said yes. I'm glad someone else feels the same way! 

It was amazing in there.  Holiday candles, check.  Christmas presents for the kids in the family, check. Wrapping paper, check.  Scrapbooking goodies, check check check.  Easy check out, check.  Huge savings, CHECK!!!! 

I felt like I was on some kind of crazy high when I got home.  I was so excited about how much I saved and excited about all the amazing stuff I got!  I can kind of see now why people go out to get the deals, even though I would never be able to deal with the crowds!

I'm not saying I would do it again because I think I was very lucky in my experience.  But NEVER SAY NEVER!

Healthy Motivation for the Day (It was an amazing day out today and after my gorge yesterday, I went for a 2 hour walk with a good friend.  Not a better way to feel energized again!)


No comments:

Post a Comment