Friday, September 21, 2012

Annoying Gym Habits

Anyone who works out at a gym can attest to the many annoying habits of fellow members.   I am sure that the people who are doing annoying things are annoyed by things that I do (not that I could think of any, though).

Here is what I find the most annoying:

1.Men Leering--I am at the gym to workout, not to impress anyone.  I show up with no makeup on, hair pulled up all crazy and I'm all sweaty.  When a guy stares lasciviously at me during my workout, it makes me quite uncomfortable.  Yes, people are going to look at each other, but when a guy does a neck turn that would make the exorcist girl look like a sissy, then there is an issue.  (Yes Creeper, you know I am talking about you.  Stop staring and me and my friend and stop asking her where the nearest Starbucks is.  She knows but she won't tell you).

Source: Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Thinkstock
 
2.Not wiping down equipment--Do I really need to go into detail on this?  I mean, really.  You just sweat all over the machine and you walk away.  I have to bite my tongue when I see this happen.  It's so disgusting.  No one wants to walk up to a machine and see that it's covered in your sweat.  Were you raised in a barn?  This is why there are paper towels and bottles of cleaning products throughout the gym.  USE IT!

Source: Gold's Gym
 

3.Talking on the phone--I am ALL for multitasking.  But I really don't need to hear you chatting away on the phone next to me during my workout.  What makes it worse is that I have my headphone in with 'Lil Wayne rapping in my ear and I can STILL hear your conversation clearly.  That is a problem.  (Yes Creeper, I'm talking about you again.  I'm not impressed that you can workout on the stairmaster while chatting it up with your besties).

Source: all-notes.com


4.Space-- This may be just one of my quirks, but this really gets me pissed.  I'll get on the stairmaster.  There is no one else on the row and I'm at the end, out of 6 stairmasters.  Someone comes along and gets on the one right next to me.  What is that???  Can't you at least put one machine in between us?    This happened the other day when I was on the elliptical and there are about 20 of them in a row.  There were people on others but this guy got on one right next to me when he could have easily put a 4-5 machine distance between us.  I really didn't feel so bad when my sweat was flying off my arm onto him.  That's the risk he took by getting on a cardio machine so close to me.
 

5.Nosy Neighbors--A couple of weeks ago, it was crowded in the morning and my friend and I had to get on the elliptical next to someone.  I was right next to this older gentleman.  Because we were right next to him and chatting, I made sure I kept my voice down to not disturb him, even though he had his headphones in. (See, I'm quite courteous in my gym etiquette!)    After we were done, my friend mentioned that throughout our workout, he kept looking at our screens and was fully engaged in our conversation.  Plus he immediately took his headphones out when we got on the machines. Bizarre. Our conversations are always exciting so I can see that he wanted to hear all he details, so I hope he enjoyed it.  But the thing that annoys me is  looking at our screens.  Mind your own business.  You don't need to know what level I am on, what my heart rate is or how many calories I have burned.  Do your workout and stop looking over!

I am sure there are more habits that I am not thinking of right now, but those are the things that annoy me most at the gym.

The next time you go to the gym, please be courteous to your fellow members!  It's  not that much to ask!

Car Karaoke song for today (Surprised Fairfax? You didn't know I speak Korean!):

"Op op op op
Oppa Gangnam Style
Gangnam Style

Op op op op
Oppa Gangnam Style


Eh- Sexy Lady
Op op op op
Oppa Gangnam Style"

--Psy, Gangnam Style

**Disclosure: Do not worry, my hands were on the wheel the whole time I was singing this in the car.  I wasn't doing Psy's dance.  If you haven't seen the video, it's a must see. Hilarious. Thanks to my friend's son, I have Gangnam Style in my head constantly now.

1 comment: