Wednesday, December 19, 2012

'Tis the Season for Gorging on Cookies!

Many years ago some friends and I started the tradition of a day of Christmas cookie baking.  This meant lots of drinking (helps make the cookies taste better), lots of laughs and many cookies.  Unfortunately, as time goes by, things change.  One friend has moved on with her life and I am not a part of it.  The other passed away 6 years ago.

So as I bake every year since my friend passed away, it's with a heavy heart.  But the wonderful memories of the fun times we had are still there.  I still have the scar on my finger from where I tried to open something with scissors and opened up my finger instead.  And as any big brother would do, my brother had to note that the excessive blood gushing from my finger and the feeling I was going to pass out was because of the drinking that had started at 9a.m.  He was living with me at the time and was our safety monitor/cookie taster.

Two cookies have become a mainstay in my Christmas cookie repertoire.  The first one is the famous Snicker Surprise.  I say famous because over the past 13 years, I have wowed my co-workers with this recipe and they have become addicted to it.  As the holiday season approaches, they would always ask when the Snicker Surprises would show up.


As you can see from the opened up cookie, it has an amazing gooey center--as the cookie bakes, the Snicker melts and becomes this "crack" like substance that everyone becomes addicted to.

They are easy to make, especially if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer.  The Kitchen Aid mixer has to be the best kitchen appliance and the best investment ever.  We have had this mixer for over 10 years and it still in great shape (I hope I haven't just jinxed myself).


The other amazing kitchen tool is this years Christmas gift from an amazing friend (also fellow baker!)  I was so excited to use this over the weekend during my Christmas Cookie Extravaganza.


These have to be the cutest measuring cups and tea/tablespoons I have ever seen!! How can you not be happy while using these!  My friend knows me to well!

Back to the Snicker Surprises.  They have lots of yummy brown sugar, peanut butter, sugar and butter in them....


The aftermath once I add the flour is always disastrous.  I don't use the bowl protector and I usually do a double batch, so things get a bit out of control.  But why bake if you don't have fun and make it messy.



Snicker Surprise Recipe

2 Sticks Butter
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 package Snickers minis

Preheat oven to 300. Combine the butter, peanut butter and sugars using a mixer on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
Slowly add eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined.  Then mix in flour, salt and baking soda. 
Cover and chill for 2-3 hours. (I don't always do this. Most of the time I cook right away--the dough will be gooier but still comes out ok!)
Remove and divide into 1tbls pieces and place the Snicker in the center.  Form the dough into a ball around the Snicker.  Place on a greased cookie sheet and cook for about 12 -15 minutes. They are so delicious when they are still a bit warm. 

My other staple is No Bake Oatmeal cookies.  These are my brother's favorite.  He came over on Sunday to try out the batch I've made.  I think he went into a cookie coma shortly after.

These are so easy to make and really quick.  This is how your pot will look as you dump in the initial ingredients.  Please note I was making a double batch--I heard all the gasps when you saw all the sugar!  Still there is a lot of sugar in these but hey, doesn't the peanut butter and oatmeal balance it out??


Here is the finished product, cooling off on the counter.  You will definitely need some counter space for this.  I made the mistake last year of lining my wood dining room table with the wax paper for the no bakes.  Needless to say, I had a big mess of wax residue left on my table after.  Cookies were ok, so says my brother.


No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups of quick-cooking oatmeal

In large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, cocoa, salt and butter and mix well.  Bring to a boil and cover saucepan for 30 seconds to allow steam to wash sugar crystals down sides of pan.  Stir mixture and bring it to a boil that can't be stirred down for a minute.  Then remove from the heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.  Add oatmeal and mix well.  Immediately drop by spoonfuls (I use my Pampered Chef melon baller which works wonderfully!!) onto waxed paper.  Let cool completely and store in a tightly covered container.

Even though I indulge in my cookies during the holidays, I make sure I stay on track with my workouts.  Makes me less guilty about the cookie gorging!!

So as you indulge this holiday says and you don't feel like working out.... remember...


No comments:

Post a Comment